Periodontal Cleanings - Ensuring Patients in Sun Prairie and Madison have a lifelong smile
It only takes twenty four hours for plaque that is not removed from your teeth to turn into calculus (tartar)! Daily home cleaning helps control plaque and tartar formation, but those hard to reach areas will always need some special attention.
Once your periodontal treatment has been completed, your dentist and dental hygienist will recommend that you have regular maintenance cleanings (periodontal cleanings), usually four times a year. At these cleaning appointments, the pocket depths will be carefully checked to ensure that they are healthy. Plaque and calculus that is difficult for you to remove on a daily basis will be removed from above and below the gum line.
In addition to your periodontal cleaning and evaluation, your appointment will usually include:
- Examination of diagnostic x-rays (radiographs): Essential for detection of decay, tumors, cysts, and bone loss. X-rays also help determine tooth and root positions.
- Examination of existing restorations: Check current fillings, crowns, etc.
- Examination of tooth decay: Check all tooth surfaces for decay.
- Oral cancer screening: Check the face, neck, lips, tongue, throat, cheek tissues, and gums for any signs of oral cancer.
- Oral hygiene recommendations: Review and recommend oral hygiene aids as needed. (Electric toothbrushes, special periodontal brushes, fluorides, rinses, etc.)
- Teeth polishing: Removal of stains and plaque that is not otherwise removed during tooth brushing and scaling.
Good oral hygiene practices and periodontal cleanings are essential in maintaining your dental health and keeping periodontal disease under control!
Cosmetic Dentistry in Sun Prairie and Madison
We are extremely proud of our cosmetic dentistry facility, located to serve Sun Prairie, Madison and the surrounding area. Our experienced dental professionals use the latest technology and techniques to help patients repair broken, cracked or stained teeth. Our team is dedicated to providing the best solutions modern dentistry makes possible to our patients resulting in the best results possible. Both Dr. Amstadt and Dr. Lotowski offer options for patients who are reluctant to receive cosmetic dentistry treatments while awake.