Although similar to standard dental implants , mini implants are much smaller and offer an excellent alternative for patients who may not qualify for standard dental implants due to an inadequately wide jawbone or excessively narrow tooth spaces. As qualified Sun Prairie / Madison mini dental implants dentist, Dr. Lotowski can use these implants to replace one or multiple missing teeth. Mini dental implants can also serve as long-term support for lower dentures.
Mini dental implants are less invasive than standard dental implants and can be placed directly into the jaw with few or no incisions. This significantly reduces healing time and allows our team to place dental restorations the same day. Most patients are able to eat and speak comfortably within a few hours following their mini dental implant procedure with Dr. Lotowski.
Benefits of Mini Dental Implants
There are several benefits associated with mini dental implants, including:
- Minimally invasive
- Fully functional restorations achieved in a few hours
- Reduced risk of postsurgical complications
- Less recovery time
- Less costly
- No need for a screw/abutment
- No bone grafting necessary in case of implant failure
Limitations of Mini Dental Implants
Although quite effective, mini dental implants cannot always serve as a substitute for standard dental implants. There are some limitations, such as:
- Mini dental implants are approved by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) to serve as support for dentures of the lower jaw only. These implants do not perform well when placed in the upper jaw because the upper jaw has less bone density than the lower jaw.
- When used to support a denture, more mini dental implants are required as compared to regular implants (for example, four mini implants versus two regular implants for snap-on dentures).
- The head of a mini dental implant wears down more easily due to the absence of an abutment, so the entire implant may need to be replaced (with a standard implant, only the abutment would need to be replaced).
- No one can guarantee how long mini dental implants will last.
Despite these limitations, for some Madison / Sun Prairie dental implants patients, mini dental implants are an excellent option. They can serve as a durable support structure for an implant-supported denture, especially in individuals who have narrow tooth spaces. Dr. Lotowski is thrilled to offer mini dental implants among other restorative services and can help you decide if this is the best option for you.